Monday, December 5, 2011

How to Be Okay with People Not Liking You

The other day I saw a guy I knew in a coffee commercial.  Since I live in LA and know a lot of actors this is not unusual.  I can't remember why I know this guy, maybe it was from a workshop or an audition, but I do remember thinking that he was arrogant and a total idiot.  Clearly my opinion of people doesn't preclude them from booking a national commercial.

This is actually good news.  What it means is that you don't have to make everybody like you.  There will always be someone who doesn't like you and those people don't matter.  Maybe they'll never ask you to be in their movie or cast you in a national commercial, but you can't worry about those people because you could be Meryl Streep and not make them happy.

I read some reviews of the movie, Drive, which I loved.  A couple reviewers actually complained about Ryan Gosling's acting.  If you know anything about acting, then you understand how crazy this is.  But, it illustrates that no matter what you do there will be someone out there who will dislike it.

It's hard to let it roll off your back when someone doesn't like you.  You know it's what you should do, but we operate in a business where more times than not it's the opinion of others that decides if you get a job or not.

Next time you find someone who doesn't like you, just keep moving on and the you will be sure to find someone who does.

No comments:

Post a Comment