Monday, December 12, 2011

Should I Send a Postcard? (Or how do I advertise me?)

Every year at the Holiday time since I moved to LA, I send out cards to Casting Directors.  The first year out here I bought the giant box of cards at Costco, printed a few hundred postcards of my face, and got the Casting Director book at Sam French.  I sent a card to every CD listed in the book. 

Since then I have cut way back.  This year I am only sending cards to the CDs I have met over the past couple years.

So, are postcards or other cards worth sending?  Some people equate mailing postcards to driving from Los Angeles to San Diego and throwing a headshot out the window at every mile marker.  I don't necessarily agree with that, but I think mailing postcards is something you should do judiciously. 

Before mailing a postcard ask yourself, do I have something to say?  I don't consider I changed my hair cut or I got new headshots to be postcard mailing worthy.  If you are in a play or got a co-star coming up on CSI then that might be worth it to you. 

For me, I only like to send postcards to the people that already have an inkling of who I am.  The CD's who have called me in or who I've met at a workshop are always on the top of my list.  A few other top casting folks who I really, really, really want to meet might sneak in there as well.

I heard some wonderful insight about postcards from the casting director, Bonnie Gillespie.  She compared them to a billboard for Coke on the highway.  That billboard is not designed to make you immediately pull over and find the nearest gas station with Coke.  It's there to leave an impression so that the next time you're thirsty and shopping for a beverage you will want a Coke.

When CD's go through their mail, they will glance at the postcards for a split second and then throw them in the trash.  That's okay.  They don't need to save the postcard and tape it to their computer for you to make an impression.  But if you make enough impressions maybe the next time they are casting your type they will think of you.

Here are a couple more helpful hints about postcards.  Some CDs tell their interns to toss any postcards without a handwritten note on them.  So, even if you just throw on a "Thanks for reading this" and sign your name it may help get your postcard seen by the right people.  Another CD suggests putting them in a nice envelope so it looks like a card or something else they'd want to open.

Postcards should just be part of any plan to advertise yourself.  The most important thing is to keep doing stuff that is postcard worthy and keep creating!


No comments:

Post a Comment