Thursday, December 20, 2012

When Relaxing is Productive

Now that Los Angeles is packing up and closing down for the holidays, it's a good time to recharge and reflect.  I'm spending the next two weeks not thinking about classes or filming or worrying about what's on the breakdowns.

Yes, I am going to allow myself to be lazy and sleep in until my body clock wakes me up.  And no, I'm probably not going to worry much about exercising or watching what I eat.  But, that doesn't mean I'm not working on my acting.

Here are four things I plan on doing on my Holiday break to help my acting.

1. Relax and not stress so much.  In LA, with all the classes, auditions, holiday parties, and work-work it's easy to get so caught up that you never find time to yourself.  Trust me by the last couple weeks of this year I was stressed and you could see it on my face.  I wasn't sleeping well and I was getting rundown.  A relaxed actor is a good actor - stress is not conducive to being an open and attentive actor.

2. Read.  My Kindle is full of books I've been meaning to read and just haven't had the time.  So, what does reading have to do with acting?  Well, I'm glad you asked.  An intelligent actor is a good actor.  Like, I've mentioned before you can't act what you don't understand.  One of the fastest ways to gain knowledge and intelligence is by reading.  I also find reading helps give me a springboard for my imagination.  Another thing that makes for a good actor?  A great big imagination.

3. Watch lots of movies and television - new stuff and classics.  One thing that I love to do is watch really great actors act.  It inspires me.  I go through phases where I'll watch all I can from an actor I'm obsessing about.  I just watched all of the BBC show "The Hour" because I was so impressed with Ben Whishaw in "Cloud Atlas."  I also adore Martin Freeman and watching "The Hobbit" (twice already in the theater) has made me want to rewatch his amazing work in "Sherlock."  I love movies and TV, I mean it's why I became an actor, so this holiday will be filled with both.

4.  Spend time with my family.   Being with loved ones helps to remind me what's important.  As an actor, when you know what means the most to you that's when you can access and share the deepest parts of yourself on stage or on screen.  Plus, I'm extremely lucky to have a very supportive family.  They give the strength I need to continue to pursue this career.

I hope you all have a wonderful holiday and please take this time to rest, relax, and recharge.


No comments:

Post a Comment