Saturday, December 8, 2012

How I Network

A couple months ago I got an audition for a co-star on a television drama through my agent.  Once I got there I realized that the casting assistant running the session is someone I've interned for at other offices on a number of occasions.  Now, I don't know this for sure, but I am pretty positive that the reason I got this audition was because of my relationship to the casting assistant.  While I was there I made sure to offer my intern services to the casting assistant again.

I am terrible at networking parties or those sorts of things.  Mainly because I am too busy eating whatever free food is available.  Trust me, if there is a cheese plate in a room I will probably not be more than two feet away from it the entire night.  Besides I never know what to say to anyone and generally just glue myself to the one person in the room that I already know.

Since traditional networking doesn't work for me, I've had to come up with other ways to build and form relationships.

Let's go back to this casting assistant that called me in.  My first introduction to her was when she was extras casting looking for volunteers on a ultra low budget film.  It was a project working with some cool people so I volunteered.  Months later she was casting a music video and remembered me.  It was another working for food sort of day but I was happy to come out for it.  After the music video shoot I thanked her because it was a lot of fun and asked if she ever needed interns.  She was an assistant on a show at the time and took me up on my offer.

I have auditioned for her twice since then for two separate shows and I know if there is ever any thing I'm right for she'll call me in.

But, I didn't start my relationship with her with some kind of agenda or end goal in mind.  I simply offered to help when I could.

Remember you are building relationships, it can't be only about what you can get out of it.  I always help out on my friends' short films, intern when I can, and just try to be helpful in general.  People will notice and even if it doesn't pay off immediately, it will eventually.



No comments:

Post a Comment