Monday, November 7, 2011

What I Learned at ActorFest

This past Saturday I went to ActorFest, a free event for actors from Backstage.  There were casting director meet and greets, panels (those cost extra), and lots of booths for things that might be of interest to actors, like Scientology and psychotherapists.  It's a lot like ComicCon minus cosplay and Kevin Smith. 

This is what I learned at ActorFest 2011:
  1. There are a lot of companies that seem to exist for the sole purpose of separating actors from their money.
  2. Actors will do anything for a chance to talk with a casting director, including standing in line for over 3 hours to have a two-minute chat.
  3. However, most actors are not willing to get up before 9am. 
  4. I have no idea what to say to a casting  director in a two-minute general meeting.
  5. Casting director's also have no idea what to say to actors in a two-minute general and their go-to question is "So, where are you from?"  Better than, do you come here often?  I guess.
  6. There are some very sketchy people out there trying to be actors.
  7. There are people who look gorgeous at 8am standing outside in the freezing cold.  I assume these people are genetic freaks.
  8. If you are going to be standing in line for most of a day, bring snacks.  And if you ask me, peanut butter cups have protein and are therefore good for you.
  9. High heels make your butt look pretty and your feet hurt.  If you are going to be spending all day in line, bring flats.
  10. Apparently, Irish-American doesn't count as diverse to NBC.
I'm always pro going to free events when you have nothing else going on.  You never know who you are going to meet or what you'll learn.  This weekend I got to meet some cool actors and chatted with a few casting directors.  I'm not sure how much can be learned about someone in two-minutes, but it is more than they knew about me before this weekend.

Yeah, I waited in lines for most of the day, but all in all a fairly productive way to spend a Saturday.  Now time to write the follow-up thank you notes.

3 comments:

  1. Last one I went to was about 8 years ago. Felt like a needle in a haystack - won't go again! Hope you made some good connections!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find workshops with CDs whose shows I want to be on to be more productive. You often do a scene with another actor (usually make a friend) and get to chat with the CD briefly and then at least they've seen you work a bit.

    I would've been actorfest had I not gone out of town, but I think you summed up pretty much what I thought it would be

    Paid: $0.02 :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. MrJ: I like free workshops and go whenever I can, but I am over paying for ones. Just didn't see the returns on the money going out. I guess my opinions about that could be a future blog.
    Tam: It was crowded, but definitely less so first thing in a the morning. I didn't do the panels, I focused on the meet and greets and auditions.

    ReplyDelete