Monday, November 21, 2011

Be Brave, Ask for Help.

We can't do everything ourselves.  I know it can be very difficult, but an important lesson to learn is how and when to ask for help.

This is true even if you are working on the most bare bones production, you almost always need at least one other person to help.  When I shot segments for the webseries, That's What She Said, I did everything I could on my own: writing, directing, editing, craft services (I was practically Robert Rodriguez).  Some people might even say that I have control issues.  But, when it came down to filming I couldn't be behind and in front of the camera at the same time.

After much worrying I finally got the nerve up to ask a friend who just got a new camera and offered him lunch in return for filming the show.  He was excited for the opportunity to play with his camera and jumped at the chance to help out.

What I've learned is that you can't be too afraid to ask for help.  Generally, people in Hollywood want to work and if they aren't doing a paying gig then they are often excited to help you on your project.  Just be sure to return the favor when they need help on their next project.  Don't be the person who is always taking help from others without giving back, because you can quickly burn through those connections in this town.

One rule I follow is if I am not going to an audition or working a paying gig, I always, always, always volunteer to help out on my friends projects.  I've been a grip, a boom operator, slated, gone on coffee runs, whatever needs getting done.  I can tell you there is pretty much no job on a set that I am above doing.

I know you want your friends to cast you in their projects and not just hold the boom, but people notice who is helping out.  Next time there is a part you are right for I promise they will think of you.

Plus, think about how difficult it is for you to ask your friends for help, so do them a solid and offer to help before they have to ask for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment