Monday, June 27, 2011

What Do You Do for Fun?

Today I want to talk about something very inspiring I saw over the weekend.  Jim Nieb put together a super fun "Coffeeshop" show at Playhouse West.  This show was an opportunity for actors from my acting school to show off some of their other talents.  These actors showed off great skills like tap dancing, singing, comedy and some of the bravest souls even got up for their first try at stand up.

It got me thinking, what do you have other than acting?  If this is your career, do you have any hobbies?

Between classes, interning, writing, rehearsing scenes and plays it's really difficult to find time to do anything else.  In my last blog I asked if you were doing enough for your career and I told you it's important to find the right balance and to not beat yourself up if you are not currently working at an acting job.  I also mentioned the importance of having a personal life. 

Watching these performers, I was amazed by the super talented ones who clearly had been doing this for years, but I was most moved by the ones who were trying something new.  It's inspiring to see actors reaching past their comfort zone and get up on stage to tell some jokes or read a poem they've written.

So, what are your hobbies?  What makes you feel good or uncomfortable or just plain happy?  Make sure you give yourself time to do that!

No comments:

Post a Comment