Monday, January 16, 2012

What Class is Right for Me?

There are so many classes for actors in Hollywood that it's difficult to know which one is the right one for you.  There are business of acting classes, technique classes, and commercial classes.  Then if you decide to do a technique class, what kind?  Do you want a heavy Meisner class or lighter cold-reading class?

A newer phenomenon in the category of business of the business are these classes specifically geared towards marketing.  Some are taught by people who seem to have little to do with show business and can cost up to $500.  Of course, marketing is important and clearly these teachers are very good at marketing to actors since many are willing to pay the money to take these classes.  Perhaps that does translate for actors marketing to producers, but I'm suspicious.  A few of my friends have taken them and felt like they got a lot out of it.  But are these classes worth all that money?

The same thing can be said for lots of technique classes out there.  So, how do you know if a class is worth taking?

My recommendation is to try it out.  Most places allow you to audit a class for free (and in general if a place doesn't let you do that I would question if it was the right place for me.)  Even some of these marketing classes offer free tidbits online. 

I take every free class offered to me because one thing I believe in wholeheartedly is: free stuff is good. 

Try it out, see if the teacher is right for you.  What's good for me may not work for you, so you can't always just rely on what classes your friends adore.

Recently, I went to audit a commercial class and I knew pretty quick that I would not like this guy as a teacher, but plenty of others swear by him.  If I had just gone by recommendations I would be spending way too much money on a class I would hate.  That allowed me to find another class that was right for me.

Here are a few good websites to find free classes, but be warned some are just trying to sell you on a much larger class:
www.sagfoundation.org
www.actorrated.com
freeworkshops.info

1 comment:

  1. Good tips, Michelle! I think I know which commercial class you audited and rejected (don't I??) and agree wholeheartedly that it's so important that you be able to at least audit a class before paying anyone anything. Like you, I am taking advantage of more and more FREE classes popping up, some of which are just "pitches" to take their regular class. But these mini-classes are a great way to get a feel for what's ahead if you opt in. My advice? Never take a class that makes you feel less of an actor when you leave than when you walked in!

    ReplyDelete