Monday, July 2, 2012

What are your Priorities?

I don't seem to be able to book commercials.  Maybe it's my face or maybe I'm a little too sarcastic, I dunno.  People just don't seem to want me to sell their stuff.  I came to an unusual realization: I don't care.

It's not that I wouldn't love to be the new face of some national commercial campaign, because trust me I would love that paycheck.  It's just that I can't make getting a commercial a priority in my life.  I can't let it bother me that I'm not the next Bud Lite girl.  It's not worth the energy. 

My priorities right now are on creating my own work.  I look at people like Brit Marling who are really making it happen for themselves.  For those who don't know she wrote and produced two movies in Sundance the same year and I highly recommend her movie, "Sound of my Voice."  She is writing roles she wants to play and that is what I want to do.  I think creating your own stuff may be the best way to be in the films you truly want to work on.  To get them seen by other people you need to make them look really good and that is where my priorities lie.

When I say I am not going to prioritize working on things like commercials, I don't mean that I won't go on auditions when they come up.  I will and will do my best on them.  But, in my spare time I will focus on writing and producing my own stuff. 

And cast myself as the star.

No comments:

Post a Comment