Monday, April 25, 2011

Are We There Yet? (or why I need to learn to enjoy the journey)


There are days I get so frustrated with Hollywood that I want to leave.  Pack my Ikea furniture, Forever 21 wardrobe, and boxes of unused headshots into my 10-year-old Civic and drive the 3,000 miles back to my parent’s house, which always has plenty of food in the cupboard.

I know if I did go home and got a regular job in Atlanta - did some community theater on the side - my life would be so much easier.  But, easier does not mean better and the harder it is to reach something the sweeter it will be when you do.  So, I convince myself to stay in LA and fight for the hard dream.

The problem with choosing acting as a profession is that there is no given way to success.  If you’ve lived in LA for more than a year then you probably know a few people that have reached enough success that they were able to quit their day job.  (Ah, that would be a dream!)  Maybe they’ve had a few nationals or even got a series regular role.  But, the longer you live here the more you realize that this success happens to the most random people and that some of the best actors you know can’t even get an agent.

It’s an ugly truth about Hollywood, but some of the best actors in the world are stuck doing 99-seat theater in North Hollywood and they never manage to move beyond it.  This is because acting is not just about talent and hard work, there is a modicum of timing and luck that goes alongside with success.  Being in the right place at the right time can be the difference being someone “making it” and someone not.

What is your definition of success in your career?  And the really tough question is: what if you don’t reach that level of success?

Find the things you enjoy in the journey that leads to your success and it will be easier to stick it out.   

BESIDES THE OTHER WAY TO FIND SUCCESS IS TO SIMPLY OUTLAST YOUR COMPETITION.

No comments:

Post a Comment